Go to top
24-hour Advice Line: 0300 30 32 442

Do I need indemnity insurance?

You must make sure that you have adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity arrangements in place, covering the full scope of your medical practice in the UK. For GPs working in England and Wales, this is included in your normal contracts of employment. For Locum GPs in Wales, you must be registered on the All Wales Locum Register (AWLR). You will still need to maintain membership with an MDO or insurer to cover services such as patient complaints, regulatory (GMC) and disciplinary proceedings, employment and contractual disputes.

For more information on the Clinical Negligence Scheme for NHS Trusts and General Practice, refer to the latest GMC guidelines here. For insurance and indemnity when you are carrying out private or independent practice in the UK outside of the NHS or as a GP in Scotland or Northern Ireland, contact us to obtain a tailor-made quotation from our preferred Partners.